top of page

Frequently Asked Questions

You’ve Got Questions. We’ve Got Answers. 
If you are unsure, give us a call and we would be happy to help.

What type of projects need a permit?

A building permit is required for all construction and demolition with the following exceptions:

  • Regular maintenance and repair of any structure provided it does not include structural alterations.

  • A fence (see zoning by-law).

  • Private driveways and concrete patios (unless you may want to construct a building or addition to a building on the patio at any time in the future)

What is the difference between a Building Permit and a Development Permit?

A building permit is designed to address life and safety issues of a structure. It gives authorization to erect, demolish, relocate, alter or repair a structure. A building permit application is reviewed for compliance with the Manitoba Building Code.

A development permit allows the planning district to review a development project to see if it meets the Zoning Bylaw requirements and any other relevant policies or plans within the municipality. There may be conditions attached to the approval of a development permit.

Projects that typically only require a Development Permit are the following:

  • Farm use buildings located in the Agricultural Zones and Districts.

  • An accessory building that is: less than 10 square meters in area; does not exceed 15' or one storey in height and is not considered a hazard by the Designated Officer.

  • An unenclosed deck that is less than 2’ above grade unless it isn't anchored to the building.

What information do I need to apply for a building permit?

Please have the following information ready when filling out your application, or when you call the Cypress Planning District:

  • Civic address and legal description of building location.

  • Site Plan, showing new and existing structures.

  • Owner's name, address, telephone number.

  • Designer's name, address, telephone number.

  • Contractor's or builder's name, address, telephone number.

  • Plans appropriate to the size and complexity of the project. These could include plans stamped by a Engineer licensed in the province. 

  • Use and size of building.

  • Type of work being done (new, addition, alteration, renovation, repair, etc.).

What if I don't get a permit?

Work that is done without a permit may not meet the minimum Building Code requirements and could result in substandard construction that may not be structurally adequate. This could lead to costly repairs in the future to correct the problem or even a complete failure of the construction. Work that cannot be made to comply will require removal. The cost of a permit “after the fact” will be charged as per The Fees By-law No. 69. Please contact the Cypress Planning District at 1(204)834-6618, prior to beginning any work

Do I need a permit to finish my basement?

Yes, a building permit is required for finishing your basement. If the exterior walls of the basement are insulated, just bring in a floor plan of the proposed development.

Do I need a permit for my swimming pool?

Yes. Both above ground and in-ground pools require a building permit

What forms of payment does the Planning District accept?

Currently the only forms of payment the Planning District can accept is cash or cheque.

bottom of page